When temps start to warm up, hot breakfasts can lose their appeal, which makes spring and summer the perfect time to get inventive with green smoothie recipes. A frosty, produce-packed shake is a refreshing and nutritious way to start your day, plus you’ll never get bored with your breakfast since there’s no end to the healthy combos you can throw into the mix.
A healthy drink we recommend you keep in the rotation? This Green Ginger-Peach Smoothie from celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak’s book 5 Pounds. Greek yogurt offers extra protein and makes for a creamy consistency, whole almonds contribute healthy fats, and fresh ginger adds a surprising, subtle spice that’ll wake up your taste buds (and combat inflammation, studies show). Even better, this flavorful blend allows you to start your day with three servings of vitamin-C-rich peaches and three servings of leafy greens. Take that, breakfast pastries!
Green Ginger-Peach Smoothie from 5 Pounds
(Makes 1 serving)
Nutrition per serving: 315 calories, 25 grams protein, 37 grams carbs, 8 grams fiber, 9 grams fat
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peaches
- 1/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups spinach leaves
- 6 whole raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (about 1/2 scoop) unflavored protein powder
- Ice cubes (optional)
1. In a blender or food processor, blend the peaches, raspberries, ginger, yogurt, spinach, almonds, and protein powder until smooth.
2. Add the ice cubes, if desired, and blend once more.
Tip: Smoothies blend faster if you add the fruit and the liquid or yogurt at the same time. Add ice cubes to the mixture until the consistency is to your liking.