From the breakdown of purines found in particular foods, a naturally occurring waste product is created, called uric acid. Typically, uric acid dissolves in the blood. It then passes through the kidneys and eventually is excreted from the body through urination.
Unfortunately, some people are unable to rid their bodies of uric acid because they have a diet that is high in purine-containing foods. Some of those foods include:
- Scallops, sardines, herring, anchovies, mackerel
- Organ meats, such as brains, kidneys, liver
- Lamb, bacon, pork, and beef
High uric acid levels can lead to renal failure, kidney stones, and gouty arthritis. Gout is when uric acid crystals build up as a deposit in the joints. For most people with gout, it occurs in the big toe. Recently, researchers have linked high uric acid levels with cardiovascular disease and hypertension.
A Few Simple Ways to Lower Blood Uric Acid Levels
- Reduce the amount of soda you drink, as well as some fruit juices and other sugary drinks to lower high fructose consumption.
- Baking Soda maintains the natural alkaline balance in the body. By drinking a 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda combined with a glass of water occasionally, it can help the kidneys flush out a more soluble amount of uric acid.
- In addition to limiting foods high in purine, like those mentioned above, you may want to make adjustments to your diet so as to avoid massive amounts of mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower, peas, or refined carbohydrates. You may also consider eating more dark berries and cherries. They contain chemicals which can lower acid levels. Additionally, blue-colored and purple berries have anthocyanins and flavonoids which can not only help to reduce uric acid but also minimize inflammation and limit stiffness.
- It is imperative you remain hydrated. Uric acid levels are diluted in the blood with water and water stimulates the kidneys for passing bodily waste to the bladder. Experts suggest that to determine how many ounces are optimal to drink daily, divide your body weight by two.